MENTEP - MENTORING TECHNOLOGY ENHANCED PEDAGOGY
Project brochure (4 pages, pdf)
How can policy-makers support teachers in developing their technology- enhanced teaching competence?
Two-thirds of teachers in the European Union learn about ICT in their own time, and almost all are positive about the impact of ICT on students, according to the Survey in schools: ICT and education (2013).
However, despite this readiness, many teachers in Europe still have a lack of competence in using ICT in their teaching and use it only to a small extent in their classrooms.
The MENTEP (MENtoring Technology-Enhanced Pedagogy) project addresses the need in Europe for teachers able to innovate using ICT in their classroom and for improved data on teachers’ digital competence. Based on this premise, MENTEP investigates the potential of an online self-assessment tool to empower teachers to progress in their Technology-Enhanced Teaching (TET) competence at their own pace.
- Project partners will develop a common tool together and test it in field trials in around 10 partner countries.
- The new online self-assessment tool - reliable, user-friendly and sustainable – will be based on similar existing tools. Teachers using the tool will be able to access resources and support via national portals. It will be possible to review and adapt the final tool to future needs.
- At least 1000 teachers in each participating country will use the tool during the field trials. Anonymized data collected via the online tool will facilitate the monitoring of teachers’ digital competence at individual, country and EU level. This will make it possible to show the impact of the tool on the professional development of teachers.
- The project will also investigate the feasibility of a European-wide certification of TET competence.
- Boosting teachers’ competence and confidence to use ICT in the classroom
- Increasing the number of teachers able to innovate using ICT
- Enhancing the uptake of ICT in teaching and learning
- Strengthening the professional profile of the teaching profession
- Improving data on teachers’ digital competence and training needs
- Promoting stronger coherence between EU and national approaches to the assessment of Technology-Enhanced Teaching competence
- Funding: The MENTEP project is a European Policy Experimentation funded by the European Commission via the Erasmus+ programme
- Duration: From March 2015 until February 2018
- Coordinator: European Schoolnet (www.europeanschoolnet.org), a network of 30 Ministries of Education from across Europe
- Partners: 16 partners in 13 countries
How can policy makers benefit from MENTEP?
- Join our 4 MOOCs (online courses) and learn more about the self-assessment tool, results and lessons learned. You can also promote the MOOCs among your teachers and school heads as a training opportunity to enhance their professional development. The MOOCs will be delivered via the European Schoolnet Academy: www.europeanschoolnetacademy.eu. Read more about the MOOCs.
- Make the tested and validated TET-SAT tool available to your teachers and adapt it to your own context.
- Get access to solid evidence about progression of teachers in their TET competence and how teachers can be supported to increase that competence.
- Follow the project’s development and outcomes on MENTEP’s website and social media.